Thursday, July 10, 2014

Thoughts on Nominations for the 66th Emmy Awards

-  There are some great contenders for the Emmy for Best Drama Series. I've seen 4 of the 6, and they're stellar. In a list like that, though, it really illustrates the lack of diversity on TV. So many white male anti-heroes, so little bandwidth.

-   If American Horror Story is a miniseries/movie, then True Detective should also be in that category. Unless they just wanted to take on Breaking Bad for Best Drama, which is possible.

 -   The fact that the nominees in these categories are so much more competitive and the awards so much more hotly contested than the Oscars really shows the state of entertainment. Television is where it's at.

-   Look at all that talent in Guest Actress, Drama Series, for crissakes! I really hope the award goes to Allison Janney, but Jane Fonda and Dianna Rigg were damn good, too.

- This is the first year I'd be okay with Peter Dinklage taking Best Supporting Actor.

-  Tatiana Maslany, once again without a nomination. Clone Club's gon' be pissed.

- The most outrageous snub, though, in my mind is that Hannibal gets nothing. Breaking Bad has all my cinematography and editing love, but Hannibal is doing the most interesting things in those categories on network TV and certainly deserves a nod - sound design, too, this season.

-  Do I need to watch more comedies? 

- I think we've reached a period in television where a category for best Showrunner would be appropriate.

-  My only prediction for the awards: Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey's interactions in the audience will win Most Valuable GIF Material. (And then maybe tumblr will forgive the powers that be for snubbing Tatiana (Unless Clone Club and the Fannibals team up and start their own award show.).)



Sometimes I feel like a traitor to film because I watch so much more TV than I do movies. But it seems there are genuinely more interesting things happening on TV than at the movies. The television format (so I can include Netflix, which isn't technically on TV) is offering more risk-taking and creativity in storytelling than movies are these days. And certainly TV takes up much more of the public discourse than movies. TV shows are cultural phenomena now; premieres and finales are the new blockbusters.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment